Beginning in 1883, Reverend M.V. Baird began to preach in Kennett once a month. For four years, he preached in a two-story house south of the downtown square. After much prayer, seven Baptists from the area organized the First Baptist Church in Kennett on October 2, 1887. Reverend Baird served as the first pastor.
Construction on the current sanctuary was completed in 1920. Educational buildings were added in 1953, 1960, and 1973. In 2001, the church purchased 28 acres on the corner of the South By-Pass and Southwest Drive and constructed a Family Life Center there in 2009.
In the 1940’s, First Baptist Church started multiple mission churches in Kennett, three of which continue to exist today—Southside Baptist, Ely Baptist, and Third Street Baptist.
Twenty-five men have pastored First Baptist Church since 1887, including Don McGuire (1979-1994), Ed Jansson (1995-2017), and Steven Scherer (2019-present). Bill Hook has served as our worship leader since 1980.
While God’s hand has been upon our church since its inception, we are excited about where He is taking us in the present. Building upon the rich legacy of those who have gone before us, our aim is to maintain a faithful, gospel presence in Kennett, pointing those in our community to Jesus.